About Me

My photo
Hey all you cool cats and kittens . . . my name is Bridget and I'm 36 years old living in beautiful Las Vegas with my husband Geoff and our little girl Penelope. Fall is my favorite time of year and I'm so excited to start my blog during my favorite season. So, join me as I tell you about my life and its many adventures.

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Turning Lemons into Lemonade

In 2006 I was hired to work for The Beatles LOVE show by Cirque Du Soleil. I was a junior in college at the time and I thought I'll just work here until I graduate from UNLV. Well, flash forward to 14 years later and I was still employed at LOVE. I loved the show (no pun intended), I loved my coworkers, I loved our cast and crew, and most importantly I loved what I did. Then on March 14th, 2020 I was furloughed from my beloved job along with most of the hospitality and entertainment industry in Las Vegas. I was devastated. I didn't know how long I would be out of work or if I would even have a job to go back to. All my hard work and dedication gone in a flash. I had no idea what the future would hold for me and my family. My husband had decided to go back to school about a year and a half ago to get his degree in social work. I had always talked about going back to school but I never had quite the right motivation to do so. Well, nothing like a pandemic to make you reevaluate your life choices. So, I took the leap and decided to go back to school and get my paralegal certification. I decided I'm gonna take the lemons that life has handed me and make lemonade. 

So, here I am 36 years old and headed back to school. I'm looking forward to the future and I'm looking forward to an amazing career as a paralegal. Law was something that interested me and I love to do research. I have the amazing support of my husband and daughter guiding me through this new journey in our lives. So far the first week of class has been a little stressful because I'm still learning to adapt to all these virtual classes. I also started a part time job with CaptionCall where I interpret phone calls for people who are hard of hearing. Not to mention I have a little girl who just started Pre-K and so balancing school, work, and home life will definitely be a challenge this semester. I've also had some interviews with some law firms around the city to try and get my foot in the door of my new career path. I just have to remember that I'm human and sometimes its ok to step back take a deep breath and keep pushing. 

Here is to making lemonade in 2020 🍋🍋🍋🍋

11 comments:

  1. A courageous person you are, venturing into a new career by pursuing a new degree!

    Very glad to see your husband and daughter are supporting you :-)

    Make lemonade indeed ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also pursuing a paralegal degree :) I agree, there is nothing like a pandemic to make you think about your life choices. I am lucky enough to still have a job, but the pandemic has made my job feel like a ticking time bomb because it is a part of the travel industry. I wish you all the best this semester, and on your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome to hear that you still have the motivation to change your life around even after what you have endured. Many people in that situation would give up rather than try to find a positive thing in all this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it so cool that you worked for the Beatles LOVE show. I've seen that show 4 times and it's still one of my favorites from Cirque Du Soleil. In difficult times like these, Love is really all you need (no pun intended). I'm glad to hear that you have your family's support through all of this. I wish you the best of luck on your new journey into law :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how determined you are for your family. You used this quarantine as a way to better your life for the good. You are on the right path to success and no one can stop you. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Turning Lemons into Lemonade” this title is so motivational, and so is your story. Stay optimistic in pursuing your goals. Only read your blog and I believe you will accomplish your career change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Bridget! Your work experience is applaudable and is something you should be very proud of. Your work experience sets you apart from other job candidates and I believe puts you ahead of most, especially connecting real-world experiences to what will be necessary as a paralegal. I am glad the you are not allowing the closing of your employer to stop you from achieving your dreams. It is never too late to advance your education- keep up the great work and keep pushing forward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to watch LOVE my junior year in high school and I absolutely loved it!! It's so cool that you've gotten to see and work the behind the scenes of such an amazing production! I worked as a legal assistant at a small firm right out of high school, it served as a great life experience and ultimately made me realize law school was not for me. I applaud you for going back to school! Your daughter is going to grow up so proud of the example you're setting, she might not quite understand it now but all the hard work your doing will pay off for her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's awesome that you took what life threw at you and turned it into an opportunity. Remember, when it starts to get stressful, you got this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your motivational story, it is impressive to see you keep going forward and not let life stop you from your dream.
    I also think it is a very good example for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't worry Bridget, I'm sure things will turn out for the best for you! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, so I hope you get your foot in the door into your new career as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete